The main objective in an Inbound Marketing strategy is to attract leads. That is, to implement a strategy that allows contacts interested in your company, products and services, to contact you directly.
In this article we will explain what lead acquisition is and what elements you must take into account to implement a lead acquisition strategy. We will also give you keys, for the attraction and conversion phase. Essential tools and results to expect… if you follow Smart city advice. Shall we start?
A super useful resource that includes strategic actions that you can start putting into practice today:
1. What is lead capture?
A lead is an Internet user who at a certain moment decides to leave us their personal data (email, name, surname, location, company …) and becomes part of our database.
The acquisition is the process leads strategic businesses, organizations or professionals put in place to increase the number of users who leave their data on its website.
The data that tells us if we increase or reduce our capture of leads is the conversion. This is how the process of “converting” an anonymous user on the network is called, into a contact or lead with email, name and other personal data. And the fundamental KPI to study and follow, the conversion rate .
The capture or acquisition of leads is basic in many digital marketing strategies. It is one that has the objective of increasing the business, generating a continuous flow of leads that can become new customers. An example? Inbound Marketing.
This strategy has the objective of increasing the capture of leads by following a series of actions, which consist of creating adequate, specific and personalized content for your ideal clients.
In this way, they try to attract their buyer persona and get them to leave their data, that is, to become a lead.
2. How to get leads?
Now, how do you get leads? There is a process for capturing leads or steps to take to increase the conversion of contacts.
Lead capture process
Let’s think for a moment about the journey that a user takes to become a lead, in order to determine the main elements that we need in this strategy.
- First, the user searches the Internet to research or obtain information about their challenges, problems, or needs.
- Then, before the various SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages) that you find, you decide to enter one, two or three . Normally, the first three positioned in the search engines.
- You will then read or review the content . If it is of quality and is related to the search, our user will stay longer on the page.
- If there is extra information, you will possibly download it. This will be through an on-page form, a popup or with a link that takes you to a specific landing page or download page.
- Here you will leave us your data, we must give the right information so as not to divert your attention.
Fundamental elements for attracting leads
Now, after knowing the process of capturing leads, you may already have an idea of all the elements that are needed to be able to generate conversions. But in this section, we are going to list them to see them a little more in depth.
– Landing pages
In the process of capturing leads, landing pages are fundamental elements . These are simple pages (landing pages) that contain information and a form .
They are the space where the majority of conversions on your website will be generated, in addition to the contact, product or service forms.
Many factors go into the success of a landing page. That is, it is possible that if you are not capturing leads through your landing pages, it is because you are making a common mistake.
How should a landing page be to improve your lead acquisition?
- Clean, clear, attractive design. The user cannot feel overwhelmed when entering the landing page.
- A clear objective. The user, when entering the landing page, must be clear (visually and by the content) the conversion objective. I mean, will you get a guide? Will you participate in a contest? Will you ask for a budget? Will you download an infographic?
- Based on the previous point, it is recommended to include a graphic resource that helps to visually understand the objective. An image usually increases the conversion rate on landing pages.
- You can also use a video, especially in those landing pages where to leave the data you need an extra dose of confidence. For example, to request a consultation.
- Form. It must have prominence, it must not be very long. You just have to ask for the appropriate fields, depending on the information you offer.
- We are interested that the user does not leave the page . Therefore, there should be no links that allow you to continue browsing. For example, the top menu, social networks or related material.
- The text must encourage the user to leave their data . It must be concise and direct, give the necessary information to generate leads.
As you can see, when working on landing pages, you have to take into consideration both the design and the content . And also, do A / B tests to optimize them and improve your conversion ratio.
In attracting leads, forms are essential. If not, how are we going to collect the data we need from users?
Forms can be entered on various types of pages. In home, you can put a subscription form to the newsletter. On the services pages, you can put a form for “more information “. In products, a form to “request a quote” or, on landing pages, a download form. But these are just a few options.
If you wonder … What data to ask for in a form? Where to put the forms? How should the forms be? Here come the answers:
- You will have to do a reflection exercise to determine all the data that interests you about a lead to determine if it is an ideal customer. HubSpot is a CRM that makes this task much easier, allowing you to create specific “property” fields that may be of interest to you.
- You will not ask for all the data on all the forms. You must identify if the content you offer on each page is TOFU, MOFU or BOFU. The more BOFU, the more data you will ask for.
Pro tip: I recommend you do an audit of all the content of your website. Then, create a buyer journey (tofu-mofu-bofu) and assign to each stage a type of content, along with a type of form. If you have HubSpot Pro, you can create smart forms to ask a contact for information about which they have not yet dispose.
- The forms should not be data request churros. You must select very well what to ask and avoid being excessively long. Here, smart forms or intelligent forms of HubSpot play a decisive role in capturing leads and information.
Another idea that you should keep in mind is that you can join several fields on the same line. For example, first name + last name. In this way, the user will perceive that you are asking for less data. Therefore, he will be more receptive to giving them.
– Thank You Pages
When a contact reaches a landing page and completes a form with their data, in exchange for a document, the ideal is to redirect them to a thank you page. Here, the contact:
- Receive the material you have downloaded
- You can continue browsing the web, so it must contain a navigation menu
- You can continue to download material, so related material can be entered
- You can also share the landing page on social networks, acting as a prescriber of our material
It is a thank you page that can induce the user to take a second complementary action or continue browsing your website.
– Call to Actions
Call to actions, CTAs or calls to action. These elements are essential when it comes to increasing your acquisition of leads. Normally, they are banners, buttons or urls in various formats that direct users from a page to the landing page where they should leave us their data.
As in landings, the success of call to actions lies in the design and the content. Those CTAs that incorporate an action verb “download, access, get, discover …” tend to work better. And, if we talk about a button, a color that indicates “forward”, such as green, usually works better.
CTAs may be the missing element to increase your lead acquisition. For example, if you already have a lot of content created on your blog… analyze which ones have the most monthly visits and introduce an attention-grabbing CTA that redirects to a related content landing page.
This action is undoubtedly a strategy that will generate quick wins if you are starting with Inbound Marketing. The important thing is to study well in which content to put the CTAs, what type of CTAs and what landing pages.
You can increase the capture of leads in general, throughout your website and your blog, thanks to popups . These are forms that appear spontaneously on the pages while you are browsing.
However, for many users, popups are annoying , because they are more intrusive. In other words, the user does not decide that they appear to him, but rather that they appear spontaneously. A good idea could be to use the content that works best and place it as a popup on the pages with the most visits.
Pro tip: Pop-ups should be more concise forms than normal. Therefore, it is a good idea for attracting TOFU contacts. It will allow you to increase your crm database more quickly.
3. Keys to attracting leads
Once we have our website ready for conversion, we must think about what actions to implement to increase our capture of leads.
If we take into account the conversion funnel, we are going to leave you tips for the attraction and conversion phases. That is, those that exist from when a user discovers our website or our content through various means, until they leave us their data.
What actions can we implement so that our content reaches new users? This would be the first part of the lead acquisition strategy . Since for a user to be interested in our content and download it, they must first reach it.
These are some of the actions that you can start to work:
- Content strategy. Work on your SEO, the positioning of the keywords of interest to your company and create content. The more articles you position, the more traffic you will receive. And here is when we can start capturing leads.
- Social media. LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube … you have many social networks available to share your content. Surely, depending on the type of your company and the services or products you offer, you are more interested in one social network than another. It is important that you study well where to be, since sharing content that adapts to all networks involves extra work.
- Email Marketing. Share a content newsletter with your contacts, who can share it and thus reach more people.
- Backlinks or Guest posting. Publish an article on another website with more traffic than yours and that is of interest. This can become an important source of traffic, and even help you generate more leads.
- Ads. Advertising on social networks or ads on Google. It is an expensive option, but it can help you at a key moment to generate more traffic and that people who did not know you discover your website.
- Digital prospecting. The role of your commercial team comes into play. They can also do a prospecting exercise, for example on LinkedIn. They can also do a large account outreach plan (ABM).
Well. We are already generating traffic. Possibly, we are also beginning to capture leads. Now how can we improve our conversion rate?
- Analyze your website. Have you analyzed the usability of your website? Remember that when it comes to increasing conversion, we have to make it very easy for users. No complex processes to leave us your data. Let’s be direct, let’s simplify our buyer journey. And of course, let’s make sure that our website is very usable and has a good user experience (UX).
- Social Selling. This is where your sales team comes into play. Just as they can perform attraction actions, they are also a key piece in the conversion. They can establish contact with your buyer persona and start a social selling strategy. They can directly select which material to send them and increase the conversion rate.
- CRO: conversion rate optimization. A concept to always keep in mind in a lead acquisition strategy. And it is that you can always improve. That is, optimize processes, analyze the performance of our landing pages, forms, resources …
A help for your sales team to digitize their sales process and start prospecting, connecting and selling through LinkedIn.
I recommend you select the best KPIs and keep a continuous monitoring.
- Web traffic
- Web conversion rate
- Number of page views
- Average session duration
- % Rebound
- Landing page performance
- CTA performance
- Conversion funnel tracking
Do you want more information in this area? Contact our team here.
4. Tools for your lead acquisition strategy
In a marketing strategy it is essential to use software. That is, programs that help you automate, create landing pages, study your leads, your data, reach more ideal customers…
In the market, you have many options at your disposal. However, we are going to recommend three tools that we use in Connext and that we consider essential for capturing leads and their subsequent management.
A free crm that combines a suite for marketing, sales and services. From this platform, you can create forms, landing pages, thank you pages, follow-up emails, pop-ups, CTAs, newsletters … All the marketing actions that will allow you to attract and convert your ideal customers.
By working with HubSpot, you save yourself from working with a large number of programs. You have it all in one!
Why do I need HubSpot? Get to know the complete suite of products for marketing, sales and services: Download the Guide here.
LinkedIn Sales Navigator
A fundamental tool for your commercial team. Thanks to LinkedIn’s Sales Navigator, they can easily prospect their customers, improve the lead acquisition rate and, of course, close more sales. If your commercials are starting to move in the digital environment, it will be very useful!
Do you want to make it easier for your sales team? Download the complete Guide on Sales Navigator;)
Typeform / Surveymonkey
Thanks to these two tools, you can take surveys and launch them on social networks. Thanks to them, you will be able to collect data and information about your ideal clients (or users who fill out the forms).
In the case of Survey Monkey, if you work with HubSpot it is ideal, since they can be integrated. In this way you collect all the Survey Monkey data in hubspot.
5. If I do Inbound Marketing, what results can I expect in attracting leads?
Here is the million dollar question. Is it worth doing inbound marketing? What results can I expect? And especially, in attracting leads.
Well, Inbound Marketing is a strategy with results in the medium / long term. This means that the sooner you start, the sooner you will have results. It is also important to do things right … many mistakes can be made in the process, and these can take you away from your goals.
My recommendation is to work in the beginning with a specialized marketing agency. That is, outsource some of your marketing actions to a specialized agency.
But what results can you expect? Take a look at this ROI estimate page, based on data from HubSpot.
If you start the strategy of attracting leads or Inbound marketing with an average traffic of 300 visits per month and you capture 5 leads, following a content strategy with HubSpot you could grow as follows:
In 6 months, you could go from 300 sessions to 810; 960 after 12 months of strategy. Regarding the capture of leads, we could go from 5 in the first month, to 9 after 6 months; 12 after 12 months of work.
However, this data could be improved and increased by enhancing the strategy with other actions: social selling, webinars, premium content, optimization, ads ..